February 12, 2009

Dragon Fruit

My impression to this fruit that it is weird. A flame like egg of a fruit and a very unique one.

Only this new year's eve that I tasted it. Well... I was expecting something else but I was really surprised when I cut it i half and it taste like plane water. Aha, not a sweet or sour one but just a plane taste for me.



When I searched it on the net I learned that the Dragon fruit has more to offer. It has protein and carbohydrates. From Wikipedia this is the nutrition facts of the fruit...
  • Water 80-90 g
  • Carbohydrates 9-14 g
  • Protein 0.15-0.5 g
  • Fat 0.1-0.6 g
  • Fiber 0.3-0.9 g
  • Ash 0.4-0.7 g
  • Calories: 35-50
  • Calcium 6-10 mg
  • Iron 0.3-0.7 mg
  • Phosphorus 16 - 36 mg
  • Carotene (Vitamin A) traces
  • Thiamine (Vitamin B1) traces
  • Riboflavin (Vitamin B2) traces
  • Niacin (Vitamin B3) 0.2-0.45 mg
  • Ascorbic acid (Vitamin C) 4-25 mg
Now that's what I call a real deal fruit. And this fruit has more anti-oxidants properties.

According to Dr. Eufemio Barcelon a Filipino scientist that the Dragon fruit can be mix to sports or to any power drink. Dragon fruits are high in fiber, rich in vitamin C and a good source of antioxidants.

This fruit can now be included in my diet. A sporty guy like me needs this and maybe Dr. Barcelon may found more interesting facts about this fruit.

So guys, buy a basket of this fruit and have a healthy snack!

No comments:

Post a Comment